Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Hi I flew to Kiev via Amsterdam The Amsterdam Airport is amazing. Friend, Boet said it would be big, busy and expensive... Well, it was all that and much more. I was told all about it but - until I experienced it - I had no Idea what it would be like. I suppose it this the same with many other things. If you haven't experienced real friendship... You don't know what friendship is. If you haven't experienced God's love and forgiveness, you will have no idea what people are going on about. While I was waiting at the "Boarding Gate" for the flight to Kiev from Amsterdam, I saw a whole lot of South-Africans. I thought, “That is great - so many South-Africans are going to the Ukraine!” Later, I realized that it was a Ukrainian Rugby team, and not South Africans at all. The truth is that people don't look any different. It was here that the reality of the people struck me. While in Hillbrow I came to appreciate that no work for the Lord is "Romantic", and that the Ukraine was not going to be any different. While on the plane I started to feel very insecure. I felt very ill equipped and don't even understand the language. I thought... In three years time I will look back and think one of two things: 1. I wish I had done it, or 2. "Praise God, He helped me to do it!" I am determined to do what the Lord has called me to do. I just pray that He will show me where and what. I am sure that He will give me the Grace not only to survive - but also to be successful at what He has called me to do… Somebody gave me a scripture to read. Jer 20:9 "But if I say, 'I will not mention Him or speak any more in His name,' his word is in my heart like a burning fire, shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot." After landing... I was through customs, no problems. The people meeting me were a bit late, so I was surrounded by taxi drivers each insisting on a fare. I couldn't understand them, and they couldn't understand me. Later a was met with a sign "Albert" and an ice cream. This team helped me to get on the bus from Kiev to Ismahiel. On the bus I sat next to a very pretty girl. But, aw shucks, again there was no hope of communication. I gotta learn this language soon, real soon! I am staying with "Ducia" and her husband "Sasha". They are from Moldovia and speak no English. This was a real challenge. We have found one another with an English-Russian-Sign language mixture. In the beginning the language really caught me, but I have started to remember all the words and phrases I learnt in South Africa. Praise the Lord I got here safely. Praise the Lord that everything went smoothly. Praise the Lord for the lovely people I met here. Please pray for me that I will be able to learn the Language in good time. Please pray for Lucia’s husband, as he is not saved. Please that I will be able to slot in with the people and the work here. The people in the church are very nice. They are very loving and open. You can still see a "cloud" hanging over the people. They have been put down for so many years, and you can see it on their faces. The vineyards are ready for harvest at the moment... so everybody is busy making “wyn”. When you walk down the street you can just smell the wine. Please pray for the "alcoholism" and "depression" in this area. Thank you for all your prayers and support Al the Pote P.S. My e-mail address albert@vineyardlife.co.za is up and running!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home